“When I say can’t take on even one more thing, I really need you to understand I really just can’t.”
Independence day is definitely a fun holiday to kick off the summer. For those impacted by Autism Spectrum Disorder some challenges may arise due to the amount of crowds out and loud noise especially from fireworks. If your loved one experiences some challenges with this, below are some tips on how to help alleviate and prevent stress for all the hustle and bustle.
- Provide alternatives for comfort like a favorite blanket or toy.
- Give choice of options of what do if individual feels anxiety or frightened by fireworks.
- Prepare and practice what the schedule will look like for the day to reduce anticipation.
- Remind the individual of all the fun activities planned for the day or even have some of their favorite foods available.
- Have a safety plan in case things get out of hand. For example, going to the car or wearing noise cancellation headphone to
Based in Southern California in beautiful Newport, CA, here at Social Growth Center, we can help individuals and families impacted by Autism. If you are a loved one, who struggles with managing Autism, Depression or Anxiety come see us on how to alleviate your stressors and manage your feelings.
We specialize in Social Skills Training that can help Teens and Young Adults with social challenges. Learn more about our OC peers group here.